Sunday, May 1, 2011

David Crandall 1795-1861


Pardon Crandall_______________Susannah Wells
|
David Crandall
|
Spicer Wells Crandall 1822-1879
|
Myron Newton Crandall


David Crandall was born June 1, 1795, in Caldwell, Warren, New York. His parents were Pardon and Susannah Wells. He was the fourth child from a family of ten, his siblings being: Benjamin, Sally, Lydia, Luanna, Ianna, Sophia, Bathsheba, Nathan and Mary.

He learned the trade of shoemaker.

David married Margaret Ann McBride about 1810, in Warren, New York. They had twelve children: Mariah, October 9, 1812; Daniel Mead, June 30, 1814; Eliza, June 10, 1816; Myron Nathan, August 17, 1818; Julia Ann, 1820; Spicer Wells, December 31, 1822; Emeline, June 27, 1824; Laura, January 25 1828; Martin Pardon, April 5, 1830; Lucian Delancey, June 23, 1832; Nelson David, May 5, 1833; and Margaret Ann, June 15, 1836.

The families of David Crandall and his in-laws, the McBrides, remained close and moved from one place to another together. David and his family heard the Gospel in the home of his mother-in-law. David, his wife, and two of their children were baptized on June 13, 1833, in Villanova, New York.

The family moved from New York to Kirtland, Ohio, in 1835. Late in 1835, David, Margaret and Daniel Mead Crandall went to Pike County. Most of the family remained in Kirtland. It is in Pike County where their youngest child was born. Daniel returned to Kirtland that year and David and Margaret remained in Missouri. They went through the same persecutions as did the other Saints there. Daniel went on a mission in April of 1837, from Kirtland, and died in 1839 of unknown circumstances.

From Missouri, David and Margaret moved to Quincy, Illinois in about 1838, and met up with the rest of the family. They stayed in Quincy for three years. In 1841, the moved to LaHarpe, Illinois, twenty three miles east of Nauvoo, where there was a thriving branch of the church.

David and Margaret were endowed on August 24, 1843, in Nauvoo, in the office of the President.

David's wife, Margaret, died on August 24, 1845, in LaHarpe, Illinois.

David Married Mrs. Jerusha Smith sometime between the death of Margaret and when the Saints left the area in 1846. She had children from her first marriage.

Two reasons kept David in LaHarpe: his youngest daughter, Margaret Ann, had mental limitations and hew knew that she would not be able to handle the arduous trip west; and his second wife, who was not a member of the Church, refused to go. David and "Jessie" were in the Real Estate business, buying and selling land.

In 1853, his daughter, Margaret Ann, died.

The following is David's last will and testament:
"In the name of God, Amen, I David Crandall of the town of Webster in the county Hancock, state of Illinois, being of sound mind and memory (blessed be Almighty God for the same) do make and publish this my last will and testament.

"I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Jerusha Crandall, the use, improvements and income of my dwelling house, lands and their appentances situated in the town of Webster, in the county and state aforesaid, to have and to hold the same to her for and during her natural life.

I give and bequeath to my son Nelson D. Crandall, and my dear daughter Laura the revision of the remainder of my dwelling house, and out houses, lands and tenements and appentances there unto the appertaining, situate in the town of Webster, in the county of Hancock and the state of Illinois and all the profits, income, and estate and advantages there of that may result there from and after the decease of my wife Jerusa aforesaid, requiring my said son Nelson D. Crandall and my daughter Laura to pay to their surviving brothers and sisters (after they shall obtain possession of said bequest) the sum of one dollar each withing three months after the decease of my said wife.

"I give also to my said wife Jerusah Crandall all of the residue of my estate either real, personal or mixed of which I shall die possessed, or to which I shall be entitled at the time of my death, to have and to hold the same to her, and her execution, administration and assigns forever.

"I do hereby appoint my wife Jerusha Crandall to be executer of my last will and testament. In witness or testimony thereof I have to this my last will and testament contained on this and the above attached sheet of paper. I hereby attach my name, affix my seal this 28th day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight and fifty six. (signature)

Recorded by court 12 March 1862. Admitted and proved 12 March 1862 at Carthage, Hancock Illinois.

David Crandall died March 12, 1861, in LaHarpe, Hancock, Illinois.

This record was compiled from the Daughters of the Pioneers Archives in June 2001 by Louise Crandall Huefner and Rebecca Huefner Chapman.

No comments:

Post a Comment