Saturday, March 26, 2011

Agnes Lewis Crandall 1872-1947

Frederick Lewis__________________Agnes Reid Ferguson
Agnes Lewis Crandall
Grant LaSalle Crandall
John David Crandall

Agnes Lewis Crandall 1872-1947
Mother of Grant LaSalle Crandall 1899-1970

Agnes Lewis was born 5 April 1872, in Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah. Her parents were Frederick Lewis and Agnes Reid Ferguson. She is the fourth child from a family of seven, her siblings being: Elizabeth Ann, Priscilla Merriman, Barbara Ellen, Mary Catherine, Adelinda, and Fredericek, Jr.

She was educated in Spanish Fork and graduated from the Brigham Young Academy with a Normal Degree (a teaching certificate with only two years of college). She got a job teaching school in Springville, Utah: she was just fifteen years old. She boarded with a widow, Susannah Crandall and her family. While boarding there, she met the 5'9" tall, dark, and handsome son, Myron Newton (she was 5'1" and had blonde hair and blue eyes).

Agnes married Myron Newton Crandall on February 13, 1895, in the Manti Temple. The first four years of their marriage, they lived in Springville with her mother-in-law, Susannah, to help them out financially.

Her first four children were: Newton Glen, November 12, 1895; Spicer Lewis, June 26, 1897; Grant LaSalle, March 17, 1899; Frederick Lewis, September 12, 1901.

Agnes' husband, Newt, died on August 13, 1903, in Chico, California. He had received a contract to construct the railroad there for the Diamond Match Company. Agnes, with their four boys, went to Chico to join her husband for the Winter. When they arrived, Myron was supposed to be there to meet the incoming train. Instead, Agnes was told that Newt had suddenly become very ill with "an upset stomach". Within a few days he died; his appendix had ruptured. Agnes and the children accompanied his body, on the train, for the return trip home.

Shortly after coming home, Agnes moved to Spanish Fork with her parents. She was expecting her fifth child and stayed with her parents until after the baby was born. Camille was born September 29, 1903. (Agnes and Newt had not talked about a girl's name, but he love the play Camille, so that was how she got her name)

Agnes lived with her paretns until she bought a new home in Provo; it was purchased with the money that she had received from Newt's life insurance policy. She moved into the new home in August of 1905. She took in boarders to help pay the expenses, which were mainly students of the Brigham Young Academy. When Camille was six and started school, Agnes began to teach school again, this time at the Parker School. She was an excellent teacher and especially enjoyed working with the slower kids. She was a master of discipline with both her students and her family.; she used firmness, love, and understanding.

She spent her days teaching school and then would come home and cook and wash the dishes for her family and boarders. Even though she was very busy, she always had time to read books to her children in the evening around the old coal stove in the kitchen. Agnes rented out her parlor to a piano teacher; as part of his rent, her boys were taught to play the piano.

She taught her children to pray, and they knelt in prayer every morning and again at night before they went to bed. Tithing was a very important principle to Agnes. On the way to the Knight Woolen Mills where she wantned to buy material for a much needed dress, Agnes stopped at the bishop's house and paid her tithing. As she went on to the woolen mills, she was concerened that she might not have enough money for the material. She found the material she wanted, however, she didn't have enough money for the amount of material she needed for the dress. The clerk told her that since the material was on the end of the bolt of fabric, he would consider the material as a remnant. With the special price he gave her, she had enough money to buy the entire piece, with money to spare.

Agnes' home was a happy one. In spite of the fact that the family's finances were limited, the children were never made to feel that they were poor. They all had little jobs to help bring in some money, which was mostly done during the summer. It would take them all summer to pay for the coal that was burned the winter before. Even thought they didn't have a lot of money, they weren't poor!

Every Summer, for three months, her mother-in-law, Susannah came to live with the family. For all of the children, every free moment of the last few weeks of school were spent cleaning the house from top to bottom, so their home would be ready for Grandma.

Agnes had several gentlemen callers, a few of which wanted to marry her. She declined saying, "I don't want your children and my children beating up our children!"

She was a true friend to all who knew her. She was optimistic, kind, and always eager to help someone in need. She helped many widows establish way for earning a living, and she even gave of her scanty means to those she felt needed it more than she. No one very visited her home without being offered something to eat and friendly encouragement.

After her children were grown, she enjoyed visiting them. She loved being with and travelingw ith Camille and her family. She also traveled with her son, Lew, and his family. Yearly, shew ould take trips to California to visit the families of her sons, Glen and Fred. Some of the places she visiter were: Yellowstone Park; Calgary, Canada; and the Eastern United States. Her last trip to California was made by airplane. She was thrilled with the flight, but when she got home, she said one airplane ride was enough for her.

When Agnes was sixty-five, she spent several weeks in Brigham City with Camille's family. The children came down with mumps and she helped take care of them. When they were feeling better, Glen brought her to Salt Lake to stay at Lew's house. She spent the weekend there, before returning to Provo. While at Lew's house, she realized she was coming down with the mumps. She was really disgusted to think she could get a childhood disease at her age. She didn't realized she was contagious and one of Lew's daughters got the mumps from her.

Agnes Lewis Crandall died April 5, 1947, in Bingham, Salt Lake, Utah. She was in the hospital there and she died of stomach cancer. She is buried in the Springville Cemetery, next to her husband, Myron Newton.

This record was compiled from the Daughters of the Pioneers Archives in June 2001 by Louise Crandall Huefner and Rebecca Huefner Chapman.

No comments:

Post a Comment